COTTAGE CHEESE FROM THE LIPS OF DEATH LP
Label: Ward-9 Records
1. REALLY RED "Nobody Rules"
2. DRI "Running Around"
3. THE OFFENDERS "Fight Back"
4. MY DOLLS "Soldiers of a Pure War"
5. NOT FOR SALE "Bread and Bombs"
6. BIG BOYS "The Big Picture (Damage 43)"
7. PRENATAL LUST "Entertainment Tonight"
8. STICK MEN WITH RAYGUNS "Christian Rat Attack"
9. HUGH BEAUMONT EXPERIENCE "Moo..."
10. MARCHING PLAGUE "Rock and Roll Asshole"
11. BUTTHOLE SURFERS "I Hate My Job"
12. BANG GANG "Dickhead"
13. THE DICKS "Gilbeau"
14. WATCHTOWER "Meltdown"
This is a really great compilation. There's good stuff from both the well-known bands and the more obscure ones. Really Red, DRI, and the Offenders, all at their peak, deliver 3 awesome hardcore songs - all available on other records, although at least the DRI song is a different version. My Dolls slow it down a bit with a sparse tune backed by tribal drumming and percussion. The woman singing has an Irish accent (not what I'd expect from a compilation of Texas bands...!). Not For Sale do a really fucking good Gang of Four-influenced song, very melodic and catchy. The Big Boys track could have come from their "Cafeteria" album. Slow and powerful, and excellent as always. I really like the lyrics to this one. Prenatal Lust, H.B. Experience, Marching Plague, and Bang Gang all play good rough hardcore punk, and the Butthole Surfers do a really raw, angry song about, um, how he hates his job. The only less-than-great stuff on this album are Stick Men with Rayguns and the Dicks, both too slow and a little too experimental to be very appealing. I'm also not too hot on the metal-influenced Watchtower song either... Overall, though, a very cool comp.