Dolphins are marine mammals closely related to whales and porpoises.
There are almost forty different kinds of dolphins. They are found
worldwide, mostly in the shallower seas of the continental shelves, and
are carnivores, eating mostly fish and squid.
Dolphins are amazing!!!! Here are the reasons why:
1. Dolphins are descendants of terrerstial mammals, most likely the artiodactyls (with four even-toed feet).
2. A group of dolphins is called a "school" or a "pod". Male dolphins
are called "bulls", females "cows" and young dolphins are called
3. Dolpins use their tail fins, called the fluke, to move through the waters.
4. Dolphins can use tools to solve problems.
5. Dolphins can hear frequencies ten times or more above the upper limit of adult human hearing.
6. Dolphin teeth are believed to function as antennae to receive incoming sound and to pinpoint the exact location of an object.
7. Dolphins are believed to have no sense of small.
8. Dolphins are very social, living in pods of up to a dozen
individuals - we all know that : ) What is more amazing about them is
that they cultivate and display culture, something long believed
to be unique to humans. In May 2005, a discovery in Australia found
Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) teaching their
young to use tools. This knowledge is mostly transferred by mothers to
daughters, unlike simian primates, where knowledge is generally passed
on to both sexes.
9. Dolphins engage in acts of aggression towards each other. The older
a male dolphin is, the more likely his body is to be covered with bite
scars. Male dolphins engage in such acts of aggression apparently for
the same reasons as humans: disputes between companions and competition
10. Dolphins perform sex belly to belly. Dolphins are the only known
animal species to have sex for reasons other than reproduction,
sometimes also engaging in homosexual behavior.
11. Dolphins play with seaweed and play-fight with other dolphins. At
times they harass other local creatures, like seabirds and turtles.
12. Dolphins sleep with one brain at a time, so that it could maintain
enough conscience to o breathe and to watch for possible predators and
13. Dolphins have an extremely advance language/communication system, using a variety of clicks and whistles.
14. Not only do dolphins recognise their mirror images, but they can also watch TV.
15. LASTLY, DOLPHINS ARE THE CUTEST ANIMALS EVER!!!