Image obtained from http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/agron/nutrient/Factshee/sulfur/Sulfur.html
Component of protein
- Cycles in both a gas and sedimentary cycle.
- The source of Sulfur is the lithosphere(earth's
- Sulfur (S) enters the atmosphere as hydrogen
sulfide (H2S) during fossil fuel combustion, volcanic
eruprtions, gas exchange at ocean surfaces, and
- H2S is immediately oxidized to sulfur dioxide (SO2)
- SO2 and water vapor makes H2SO4 ( a weak sulfuric acid),
which is then carried to Earth in rainfall.
- Sulfur in soluble form is taken up by plant roots and
incorporated into amino acids such as cysteine. It then
travels through the food chain and is eventually released
[Phosphorus Cycle ; Oxygen Cycle ;Nitrogen Cycle ;Carbon Cylce]